Budget Hearing - Department of Health and Human Services - NIH
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:30 AM in 2358-C Rayburn
Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
The first panel will discuss what regulations, policies, and guidance in FY 2012 are being established within the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) governance system to ensure NIH and NCATS does not compete, duplicate, or invest in redundant activities with industry. NIH will highlight how input from industry will be collected and evaluated to meet the letter and spirit of the bill and report language that established NCATS in the FY 2012 Appropriations Act. In addition, NIH will discuss how the FY 2013 request ensures basic science is not negatively impacted given its recent focus on NCATS.
(1) Dr. Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., Director, National Institutes of Health (Biography
(2) Dr. Thomas R. Insel, M.D. Director, National Institute of Mental Health Acting Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (Biography) (Testimony)
The second panel will discuss key hurdles observed within pharmaceutical development which hinder the advancement of translational science and how NCATS or NIH can coordinate activities to leverage basic science in ways to improve how the pharmaceutical industry can accelerate moving discoveries into treatments.
(3) Dr. P. Roy Vagelos, former Chairman and CEO, Merck & Co., Inc. (Biography) (Disclosure) (Testimony)
(4) Dr. Scott Koenig, M.D., Ph.D., President and CEO, MacroGenics Inc. (Biography) (Disclosure) (Testimony)
(5) Dr. Todd Sherer, Ph.D., CEO, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (Biography) (Disclosure) (Testimony)
The hearing will not be webcast.