House Republicans are Strengthening America’s Energy and National Security
As the Biden Administration continues to double down on its agenda that has caused chaos at home and abroad, House Republicans are working to reduce everyday costs and increase the safety and security of the American people.
ICYMI: this week, the House passed H.R. 4394, the Fiscal Year 2024 Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, which continues House Republicans’ efforts to strengthen our national security and decrease dependence on adversaries like China.
H.R. 4394 strengthens America’s national security by:
- Providing $19.117 billion for the continued modernization of the nation’s nuclear weapons stockpile and infrastructure;
- Providing $1.946 billion for Naval Reactors to support the operational nuclear fleet, Columbia-class submarine reactor development, and research and development for current and future generations of nuclear-powered warships; and
- Providing $2.38 billion for Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation to reduce the danger of hostile nations or terrorist groups acquiring nuclear devices, radiological dispersal devices, weapons-usable material, and nuclear expertise.
H.R. 4394 enhances energy independence, including countering China, by:
- Supporting domestic uranium enrichment capabilities, including high-assay low-enriched uranium (HALEU) availability, which is essential to reduce U.S. reliance on foreign uranium sources to power current and future commercial nuclear reactors;
- Advancing small modular reactor and advanced reactor demonstration projects;
- Providing more than $200 million for the production of critical minerals;
- Requiring funds to be used by the Department of Energy (DOE) in a manner consistent with the research security provisions of the CHIPS and Science Act; and
- Prohibiting oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to be sold to any entity owned by or under the control or influence of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) or to any other entity that intends to export to China.
Instead of funding wasteful, partisan initiatives supported by the Administration, House Republicans are taking important steps to strengthen our energy and national security, focusing resources on what matters most: Americans' safety and security.