Five Ways The Appropriations Package Reflects Democratic Priorities
House Appropriations Committee Democrats released the following one-pager explaining five ways House Democrats' legislative package to reopen the government reflects Democratic priorities. A PDF copy of the Dear Colleague is available here. Additional information on House Democrats' legislative package is available here.
FIVE WAYS THE APPROPRIATIONS PACKAGE REFLECTS DEMOCRATIC PRIORITIES
1. Ends The Trump Shutdown and Reopens The Federal Government. The legislation fully funds most of the federal government through September 30, and extends Homeland Security funding through February 8.
2. Rejects The Trump Budget. The legislation rejects President Trump’s reckless budget cuts that slashed numerous important services for the American people. The legislation also restores funding for numerous federal agencies that President Trump targeted for elimination.
3. No New Wall Funding. The legislation continues funding for Homeland Security at fiscal year 2018 levels, rejecting President Trump’s demand for $5 billion for his wasteful and unnecessary border wall.
4. Removes Poison Pill Riders. The legislation is based on bipartisan Senate bills and is free from the poison pill riders attacking environmental protection, consumer protection, and women’s health care that made it impossible for Democrats to support House Republican bills.
5. Has Already Earned Bipartisan Senate Support. The legislation includes six appropriations bills that garnered strong bipartisan support in the Senate. The CR for Homeland Security uses the same February 8 date that passed the Senate unanimously.
Prepared by the Democratic staff of the House Appropriations Committee.