Calvert Remarks During Floor Consideration on H.R. 6126, The Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act
Mr. Speaker, I rise today in strong support of H.R. 6126, which provides security assistance to Israel, supports the security of our embassy personnel, enables the evacuation of U.S. citizens, and strengthens the ability of our industrial base to respond to this crisis.
On October 7, Hamas terrorists carried out a barbaric attack on Israel that took the lives of more than 1,400 innocent Israelis, including 32 American citizens.
Mr. Speaker, I stand firmly behind Israel’s right to defend itself and destroy the Hamas terrorist organization. The world will be a safer place once that organization is eliminated.
Last week, the House of Representatives passed House Resolution 771, a resolution which I cosponsored, by a vote of 412 to 0. That resolution reaffirms the United States’ commitment to Israel’s security. The bill we are considering today delivers on that commitment.
This legislation contains $14.3 billion for Israel. As Chairman of the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee, I strongly support the bill’s robust funding which includes:
- $4 billion for the Iron Dome and David's Sling missile defense systems;
- $1.2 billion for the Iron Beam defense system, which is promising new technology which will, I think, be both helpful to Israel and the United States;
- $800 million for the production of 155mm ammunition, which we need to get our supply chain rolling again;
- $198 million for the production and development of small diameter bombs and precision guided rockets;
- $4.4 billion to replenish U.S. stocks transferred to Israel, such as precision guided and other critical munitions as well as medical supplies for Israel’s Defense Forces; and
- $3.5 billion in Foreign Military Financing Program Funding for Israel.
Mr. Speaker, Israel is at war. Hamas continues to launch rockets at Israel, and they still hold hundreds of hostages. Israel must respond to this unprovoked attack on its people, defend itself, and fight to prevent future attacks. The United States will stand with them.
Voting for this bill will provide much needed support for Israel and send a clear message to Iran and its proxies that terrorist attacks will not go unanswered.
I strongly urge support of this bill, and I reserve the balance of my time.